Sunday, May 25, 2014

May Birthdays, Part 2 (aka There's A Hole In This Cake)

My dear friend Leah, whose wedding cake I did last fall, had a birthday a couple weeks ago and we're just now able to celebrate.  She requested a spice cake, which I've never done, so I spent a week or so figuring out what recipe I wanted to use--I ended up going with Rose Levy Beranbaum's white spice pound cake recipe from The Cake Bible.  Rose Levy Beranbaum is the OG of cake bakers and I've never had a cake of hers that wasn't fantastic--I hadn't made this recipe before, but I trust her implicitly.  She knows her shit.  The recipe calls for a loaf or bundt pan so I used it as an excuse to buy myself a bundt.  Please pause a moment to watch the relevant bundt cake scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.


Thank you for your time.

Anyway!  I clearly have no idea what I'm doing as far as frosting bundt cakes goes, so I slathered a mountain of cream cheese frosting over the top, swirled it to echo the shape of the cake, and covered it in sprinkles.  Like you do.


It ain't the prettiest thing going, but it was made with a lot of love and a new pan and plenty of sprinkles and it hopefully tastes a lot better than it looks.  That's all we can ask of birthday cakes.


Once again, Cait used her awesome photo skills to make my cake look awfully pretty, and I appreciate it a whole whole lot.

(Two days later edit: the cake was tasty!  I still need to learn how to frost a bundt but that's secondary.)


No comments:

Post a Comment